Husband: Kaushik Mukherjee
Age: 38 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vineeta Singh
- Vineeta Singh is an Indian businesswoman and owner of the famous Indian cosmetic brand ‘Sugar.’
- She has won various badminton competitions while she was studying in college and university.
- She did an internship of three months at ITC Limited, Kolkata in 2014. During her MBA, she did a three-month internship at Deutsche Bank, London and New York. There, she completed various projects with the emerging markets structuring team in London, and the strategic equity transaction group in New York.
- After completing her MBA, she was offered a job Rs. 1 crore salary per annum, but she wanted to start her own business, so he rejected the offer.
- While setting up her own business, she faced many financial difficulties. She even worked for a salary of Rs. 10,000 p.m. to meet her expenses.
- In April 2007, she was appointed at Quetzal Online Private Limited as a director in Mumbai. She worked there for more than 5 years, and then she started her own beauty product supplying company ‘FAB BAG’ in Mumbai.
- In 2015, she launched her cosmetic brand company with the name Sugar which gained immense popularity among the cosmetics users in India. Sugar has more than 2500 outlets in more than 130 cities in India as of 2021. During an interview, while talking about her cosmetic brand Sugar, Vineeta said,
I always felt strongly about building something with women as the core customer, so when my first startup didn’t scale, I decided to launch a beauty subscription company with my co-founder, Kaushik, in 2012. The 200,000 women who shared their detailed beauty preferences with us were at the heart of our pivot to SUGAR Cosmetics, which launched as a direct-to-consumer makeup brand in 2015.”
- She further shared the challenges she faced while setting up the company. She said,
When we tried raising capital, we were told that digital-first beauty will be a small market and that it would be impossible to compete with large FMCG companies without raising hundreds of millions of dollars. We were even told that the product itself won’t be a strong moat since it is a commodity.”
- Vineeta acquired the rights from Warner Bros to launch her name range of cosmetics with the name SUGAR X WONDER WOMAN in 2021.
- She appeared as one of the judges in the Sony TV reality show ‘Shark Tank India’ started on 20 December 2021. In the show, the budding entrepreneurs present their startup plan in front of the judges and ask them to invest in their start-up plan. Some of the start-ups in which Vineeta invested during the TV show were:
- Nocd Energy Drink (energy drink brand) 20 lakhs at 15% equity Vineeta Singh
- Blue pine Foods (Frozen food brand) 75 lakhs at 16% equity by Ashneer Grover, Vineeta Singh & Aman Gupta
- Ridebooz (Urban utility brand) 40 lakhs at 50% equity by Ashneer Grover & Vineeta Singh
- Mycosiq (Skincare brand) 50 lakhs at 25% equity by Vineeta Singh & Anupam Mittal
- Heart up my sleeves (Fashion accessories brand) 25 lakh at 30% equity by Vineeta Singh & Anupam Mittal
- Skippi ice pops (Popsicles)- 1 crore at 15% equity by Vineeta Singh and other judges
- She was invited as a guest speaker in 2018 at TEDx, Pune where she talked about ‘How to turn your fears into wins.’
- Vineeta was invited as an expert in a few episodes of the TV game show ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’ in 2021.
- She has been participating in various marathons, running events, and cycling events. As of December 2021, he has participated in more14 marathons including Comrades Run of 89 km for three consecutive years in South Africa. She has also completed the Iron Man Triathlon.
- In an interview, while talking about participating in marathons, she said,
I started running many years back and I’ve probably participated in more than 14 Marathons and Full Marathons, around a 42 kilometres race. While participating in Ultra Marathons, I signed up for this race called Comrades, which is an 89 kilometres ultra marathon, held in South Africa and had to be completed within 12 hours. It’s the world’s largest and oldest ultramarathon race and I actually did it three times!”
In one of the years, I even won a bronze medal in that race. I’ve also participated in the Iron Man Triathlon along with my husband Kaushik where it’s 3.8 kilometres of open water followed by a 180 kilometres bicycle ride, which is then followed by 42 kilometres run and up to finish all of that within 17 hours to get the metric. And there have been many other Half Marathons and Triathlons held in India where I’ve got the podium finish. Even though I don’t consider them to be big achievements, I genuinely think that having a passion outside of work makes me a better person. And that’s why I follow it.”
- Vineeta often drinks alcohol at parties and events.
- During an interview, Vineeta talked about her mantra for success. She said,
If you want to do something world-class, you have to continuously contribute to your work and be patient about the results.”
- Her YouTube channel ‘Sugar Cosmetics’ has around 423K subscribers as of January 2022.
- Vineeta has featured on the cover page and stories of various magazines.
- During an interview, she shared her motto that defined her work as well as personal life. She said,
Don’t fear bold decisions you strongly believe in. I always wanted to build a brand with women at the core and strived to convert that dream into reality. Another motto I learnt being a runner and entrepreneur is, no matter what challenge is thrown at us, agility matters. Growth is not about how fast you get to it, but how well you sustain it once you’ve arrived.”