The U.S. government is ‘attempting’ to ban TikTok and other Chinese social media apps on issues of national security.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo proposed the move during an interview with Laura Ingraham of Fox News on Monday July 6.
When asked by Ingraham whether the United States should be considering a ban on Chinese social media apps, “especially TikTok.”
He had this to say;
“With respect to Chinese apps on people’s cell phones, I can assure you the United States will get this one right too, Laura. I don’t want to get out in front of the President [Donald Trump], but it’s something we’re looking at.”
The top diplomat in Washington also said people could use the app only “if you want your private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”
His statement comes after US lawmakers raised national security concerns regarding TikTok ‘s handling of user data, accusing the short-form video app of being a national security threat due to its relations with China. They also claim the company could be compelled to “support and cooperate with Chinese Communist Party-controlled intelligence work.”
Reacting to Pompeo ‘s comments, a TikTok spokesperson said in a statement: “TikTok is led by an American CEO, with hundreds of employees and key leaders across security, product, and public policy here in the U.S. We have no higher priority than promoting a safe and secure app experience for our users. We have never provided user data to the Chinese government, nor would we do so on request.”
Last week, the Indian government blocked 59 Chinese smartphone apps, including top social media sites such as TikTok, Helo and WeChat, to combat the threat to their “sovereignty and stability” posed by those apps.
Beijing-based company ByteDance owns TikTok.