Connect with us


Governor Akeredolu Determined To Keep Woman Arrested During EndSARS In Prison Despite Just Giving Birth — Sowore




Rotimi Akeredolu, the Ondo State Governor, and the state Chief Judge, Olarenwaju Akeredolu, have refused to grant bail to a woman arrested by the police last October during the #EndSARS protest, Kemisola Ogunniyi, despite her giving birth to a baby while at Surulere Prison in Ondo.


Ogunniyi was arrested in Akure and has been imprisoned since October 24, 2020, while going to a pharmacy to buy drugs for her mother.

She was arrested by the police who claimed that she was one of the participants of the #EndSARS protest in the state.

The police claimed she was one of the #EndSARS protesters who burnt the office of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the state last year, about eight months ago.

Human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, had first brought up her case on his Facebook page on Wednesday.

Sowore had called on the governor to look into the issue, adding that the mother of the newborn was innocent and never committed any offence.

In providing an update, the activist tweeted on Friday that it was clear that the governor and the Chief Judge had plotted together to deny Ogunniyi bail going by the ruling the judge gave.

He tweeted, “Wicked People. Rotimi Akeredolu and CJ, Olanrewaju Akeredolu, are in accord to deny, Kemisola Ogunniyi, and her new born baby freedom. The chief judge just refused to grant her ‘administrative bail’ because according to her, the other three have a case to answer.
“#FreeKemisola; Kemisola and her baby are back in Surulere prison in Ondo. Kemisola was two months pregnant as at time of arrest. They knew she was innocent but decided to place her on trial after one month in police’s illegal detention.

“She was then charged before a Magistrate. They knew too well that the magistrate court has no jurisdiction to try Kemisola and the three others. She was thrown into jail with her pregnancy, her colleague, Ibukun, lost her pregnancy due to beatings from the Nigerian Army who arrested them.”