Egypt’s health ministry announced its first novel coronavirus case on Friday making it the first in Africa.
The sufferer was not an Egyptian, the ministry said in a statement, without nationality being stated.
“The ministry has taken preventive action and is monitoring the patient… who is stable,” said Khaled Megahed, spokesperson for the health ministry.
The Egyptian authorities had informed the World Health Organization and the patient was placed in hospital quarantined isolation.
The outbreak virus death toll has reached 1,400 cases, almost entirely in China where it was first detected.
Close economic relations with China and often inflated healthcare systems have raised concerns about African countries ‘ ability to respond to an outbreak.
Egypt suspended all flights to China on its national air carrier earlier this month. They stay grounded until the end of the month.
Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus in China, evacuated three hundred and one Egyptians and remained in quarantine for 14 days.